Modern Eclipse-based IDE for Mainframe Development, Testing and Maintenance
Topaz® Workbench provides an intuitive interface that enables developers of all experience levels to initiate Compuware’s industry-leading developer tools, Abend-AID®, File-AID®, ISPW®, Xpediter® and Strobe®, as well as non-Compuware products and distributed solutions in the same environment. Topaz Workbench can be extended with additional Topaz offerings.
Through Topaz Workbench, mainframe teams can:
- Access Compuware development tools, providing the ability to visualize complex application logic and data relationships, make changes to code, test and debug, and performance tune
- Leverage existing Eclipse frameworks and integrations with popular open-system tools
- Group source, data and launch configurations and other information into Eclipse projects
- Create Topaz Team Profiles that include mainframe and Java projects, preferences, configurations and/or working sets and share them with others to help jumpstart common developer tasks
- Leverage an intelligent multi-language source code editor
- Use JES functions like job submission, review, print and purge
- Navigate to z/OS and z/OS UNIX assets
- Perform common dataset management (i.e. allocation, recall and deletion)
- Copy files from one LPAR to another with a simple drag and drop or right click
- Leverage integrations with industry-leading tools and comprehensive API capabilities that allow users to extend or integrate into Topaz, or use capabilities outside of Eclipse
The Value of Topaz Workbench
- Available at no additional cost to customers on current maintenance
- Makes the mainframe very intuitive for next-gen developers new to the z/OS platform
- Resembles distributed-environment interfaces, making mainframe development different only in syntax
- Helps organizations address the mainframe skills shortage caused by a retiring workforce
- Central administrative capabilities make it easy for an organization to roll out and maintain
Key Features of Topaz Workbench
Abend-AID: Fault Identification, Analysis and Diagnosis
Topaz Workbench provides full Abend-AID functionality through the IDE with access to historical and trending reports.
File-AID: Browse, Edit and Compare Data
File-AID through Topaz Workbench allows you to manipulate Sequential, Db2, VSAM, IMS, compressed and z/OS UNIX data; enables you to create and update File-AID XREF; and provides Compare and Search capabilities.
Built on Eclipse, the Topaz SQL Editor enables you to dynamically build, edit and test SQL statements without having to type SQL code with the SQL Query Builder. The Topaz SQL Editor connects to Db2 for z/OS through Host Explorer, providing the ability to manage Db2 queries using a modern tool.
Strobe: Tune Mainframe Application Performance
Topaz Workbench provides full-function iStrobe access. Users can initiate Strobe measurements from the JES Explorer and then obtain trend and summary reports of multiple measurements.
Xpediter: Interactive Analysis, Debugging and Code Coverage
Xpediter through Topaz Workbench provides interactive debugging for mainframe-hosted COBOL, PL/l, C and HLASM. When running automated tests and debugging code via Topaz’s intuitive Eclipse interface, covered and uncovered code is highlighted so developers can quickly spot areas that need attention.
An integration with Atlassian Jira Software enables users to capture faults and performance problems found via Abend-AID and Strobe. The Jira issue also includes an Xpediter debug configuration that developers can then use to quickly debug and resolve the issue.
ISPW: Modern, Agile Mainframe SCM, Build and Deploy Automation
Topaz Workbench’s integration with ISPW, Compuware’s source code management tool, provides ISPW users access to Compuware’s mainframe application development tools to visualize complex application logic, make code changes, test and debug.
Intelligent, Multi-language Source Code Editor
Powerful, multi-language, multi-platform source code editors streamline the creation and maintenance of application programs. Language-specific aids are available for mainframe COBOL, PL/l, HLASM and C.
Integrations with SonarSource Tools and Jenkins
The SonarSource SonarLint COBOL plugin gives immediate feedback on code quality and adherence to standards while editing source code in Topaz Workbench. Using Jenkins for Continuous Integration, organizations can publish COBOL code metrics into SonarSource SonarQube to track quality metrics and technical debt.